Position Title: College Advocate
Location: We are currently hiring up to three positions for our Syracuse office
FLSA Status: Full-time
Effective Date: ASAP
Report to: Lead Advisor
- College Advocates focus on the attainment, enrollment, and retention/success of students in post-secondary opportunities (college, certificate, trade, or vocational programs).
- Provide one-to-one assistance to students in resolving financial, academic, and personal issues. Refer students to appropriate post-secondary opportunities, resources, and personnel.
- Build and maintain relationships with students.
- Effectively engage, and monitor students through virtual or in-person visits, phone calls, and texting/social media platforms.
- Assist with special projects and college tours.
- Conduct Early Awareness Presentations and train early awareness volunteers to provide presentations in schools, community centers, and community agencies in person and virtually. Interface with community leaders and college/program personnel.
- Serve as co-presenter at pre-college orientation program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree and 2+ years of work experience with young adults
- Experience in higher education preferred (financial aid, college admissions, etc).
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed/requested.
Proficiency with virtual platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.), MS Office programs including PowerPoint. Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
This position description is not an exhaustive listing of responsibilities or duties that may be required of persons assigned to this position. Also, the position description may be modified at any time without notice, at the discretion of management. All On Point for College employees are expected to understand and comply with applicable policies and procedures.
- $38,000 per year / 40-hour work week / 9:00am – 5:00pm / Monday thru Friday
Most positions receive a laptop or desktop, mobile phone, scanner, and portable printer to use so staff can work from other locations (school districts, community centers, etc.).
Holidays include Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Friday after. We also offer paid leave from 12/24 thru 1/1 to full-time employees.
On Point also:
- Covers 95% of the Health Insurance cost (individual or family plans)
- Pays the premiums for a $10,000 Life Insurance Policy while employed
- Offers an employer contribution to a 403B retirement plan (like 401K for non-profits) after the 1st year of service
- Pays the membership fees for COSTCO or BJ’s
- Covers AAA membership while employed
- Reimburses mileage for work-related travel
- Offers supplemental AFLAC healthcare plans and Dental plans (these are optional employee-paid programs)
Click here to submit your resume and cover letter.
On Point for College is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment that is free of all forms of discrimination. This organization does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, staff, and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components in keeping with our mission. On Point is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.