On Point for College’s team comes from a diverse range of backgrounds and includes program alumni, life-long non-profit workers, and former private sector workers. But at the end of the day, we all have one thing in common: we are all committed to helping our students on their journeys to a brighter future.
Part of the media? Contact a member of On Point for College's Development team for help.
Work for On Point for College
Are you passionate about providing opportunity for young people who did not think that a brighter future was possible? If so, you may find a career at On Point for College rewarding! On Point for College is an equal opportunity employer and offers excellent benefits.
Position Title: Director of Development
Location: Syracuse, NY
FLSA Status: Exempt
Effective Date: ASAP
On Point for College is a $2.5 million non-profit organization based in Syracuse, NY, with operations in Utica and a partnership in New York City. On Point is best in class for breaking down barriers that prevent individuals from achieving educational and career success. In partnership with the Executive Director, an active Board of Directors Development Committee, and assigned staff members, the Director of Development will spearhead On Point’s fund development efforts.
- Passion for raising funds for organizations that are breaking down the barriers that prevent underserved individuals from achieving education and career success.
- Proven success in securing ongoing financial support and project funding from individual and corporate donors, as well as government sources, through a variety of methods.
- Proven knowledge of relationships with donors in the Central New York region.
- Proven knowledge of marketing and communication techniques and how they integrate with fundraising campaigns, grants, and proposals.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills and the ability to use technology to achieve fundraising goals.
- Valid driver’s license and able to travel as needed in the region.
- Bachelor’s Degree and relevant experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with Executive Director and the Board of Directors, create a multi-year fundraising strategy including timelines, milestones, and benchmarks.
- Sustain an annual fund drive with broad solicitations made two times per year along with the annual Celebration Dinner and other special events.
- Assist the Executive Director in coordinating government relations at the local, state, and national levels with respect to securing funding and increased visibility for On Point.
- Oversee and assist with the submission of grants to foundations, corporations, and other entities.
- Improve and expand the fundraising infrastructure of On Point, including: refining the database of potential donors and rating prospective donors; creating and adhering to a schedule of solicitations; and integrating personal, traditional, and technology-enabled techniques to reach new donors.
- Develop and propose strategies for solicitation of major gifts, including: developing case statements; matching giving opportunities to specific donors; direct solicitation of gifts; and involving the Executive Director and Board members in the fundraising effort.
- Work with staff and Board members to sustain On Point’s reputation and marketing presence in Syracuse, Utica and elsewhere in the state. Attend a variety of events to demonstrate On Point’s community engagement.
- Supervise a Development Associate and Volunteer Coordinator.
Position Title: Advisor
Location: We are hiring for this position in our Syracuse office
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Effective Date: ASAP
Do you enjoy meeting with individuals as well as small groups on an ongoing basis to build connections?
Can you identify barriers to college success, and help review academic goals and develop action plans for related successes?
Are you able to teach and model decision-making and problem-solving skills to help students to become their own self-advocates?
Please view the link below to learn more about On Point for College
If you would like to help us in transforming lives and transforming communities, consider joining our team!
- Assist with applications, personal statements, recommendations needed for higher education and vocational agencies.
- Conduct monthly visits on campuses throughout New York State. Effectively engage current students via in-person, telephone, email, text, social media or video conference settings.
- Provide communications to students – distribution of news and information including but not limited to e-mail, text, social media and by using technology as a communication tool in advising.
- Provide one-to-one assistance in resolving financial, academic and personal obstacles to starting college or vocational school.
- Assess student’s personal strengths through academic success strategies, career exploration.
- Support academic progress Assist students with short-term and long-term academic planning, major and transfer exploration.
- Identify students who are at risk of not persisting. Work with each student to develop a success plan that will prompt them to seek necessary campus and community resources and to take a proactive approach to succeeding in school.
- Determine root causes of student challenges, facilitate referrals to support services, and follow up to facilitate success, as appropriate.
- Working with undecided students and supporting students to explore and understand their interests, skills, and values in conjunction with degree, accreditation, and admission requirements for their chosen major.
- Advocate for students' rights and well-being and ensure they learn self-advocacy, Maintain accurate data/notes/information in database.
- Connect students with On Point’s Career Services to align career interests with academic decisions and successfully pursue career opportunities.
- Explain and interpret transfer credit policies and evaluations; assist students with the inter-college transfer process; focus on identifying and developing resources related to career exploration and transfer to four-year year schools.
- Initiate and maintain projects and programs that result in increased student retention and graduation.
- Keeps current with learning strategies with emerging and state-of-the-art student success research.
- Data collection and analysis related to student success initiatives.
- Participate in New Student Orientation program and assist students with making a smooth transition to campus.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills.
- High level of cultural competence, knowledge of the needs of student traditionally underrepresented in higher education, including first generation students, students of color, low-income students, non-traditional age students.
- Utilize technology, including social media, student management systems, texting platforms and Microsoft Office.
- Abide by FERPA regulations and maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s Degree and three years of work experience in financial aid, college admissions, and/or the EOP.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, ability to work evening and weekend hours, as needed/requested.
- $18.26 hour / 40-hour work week / 9:00am – 5:00pm / Monday thru Friday
Position Title: Career Services Advisor
Location: Cayuga and Oswego Counties
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Effective Date: ASAP
On Point for College is seeking a Career Services Advisor. On Point works with students, alumni, employers, and community partners to provide comprehensive career services. We help students make educated career decisions and develop life-long professional career readiness skills. We assist employers in connecting with On Point students through recruitment and educational opportunities. Major responsibilities are providing one-to-one student assistance in aligning career interests with academic decisions; and assisting students and graduates to transition to a related occupation in the workforce.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct one-on-one advising with participants regarding career interests and strategies, job search methods, career exploration, experiential learning, internship searches, mentoring opportunities, and resume/application critiques, networking tips and interview preparation.
- Coordinate and assist in student job search readiness, search execution, including scheduling employment interviews and job placement for students, and conduct follow-up activities in accordance with On Point for College policies.
- Visit campuses throughout New York State to present career success strategies and ensure that On Point students take advantage of campus career services.
- Engage students regularly throughout the post-secondary journey by communicating with students and graduates via phone, email, social media, and face-to-face.
- Conduct presentations in the community and at On Point for College student events (e.g., pre- college orientation).
- Work collaboratively with the academic advising team to enhance the student experience through collaborative programming such as workshops and events that support students’ academic, personal, and professional development.
- Attending training workshops on relevant student needs and issues.
- Assist in planning and executing year-round calendar of career services programming, including develop and/or facilitate workshops on skill development/career readiness or exploration of relevant career opportunities; organize job fairs and other employer events; make presentations to college classes.
- Prepare students for job fairs, meetings, company visits and other recruiting events, including resume reviews and practice interviews.
- Conduct research to identify employers of interest to students, maintain positive relationships with local employers.
- Work collaboratively with Volunteer Coordinator and manage volunteer outreach assistance.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service.
- Enter all activity and student/grad/employer information into database properly and in real- time.
- Use technology to better serve students, such as: Handshake (for assisting jobs with internship and job searches), LinkedIn, and Twitter (for assisting students with networking), etc.
- Meet established goals and objectives as provided by the Director.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years of work experience with young adults, the unemployed, engaging employers, and/or career coaching.
- Must have valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, may travel and be available to work evenings and weekends for work events.
- Experience in college career services or related environment. (Preferred)
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team; demonstrated willingness to take initiative and aptitude to work independently.
- Good organizational skills and ability to effectively plan, coordinate, and oversee events.
- Skilled in use of online career resources, networking platforms, career center management system and other online resources.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain professional relationships with students, alumni, employers and colleagues.
- Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills.
- Technical/computer skills needed include (but not limited to): experience using Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Experience with Google Drive platforms, electronic communications and databases.
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills are required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to make evaluative judgments
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations
- Passionate about On Point for College’s mission.
This position description is not an exhaustive listing of responsibilities or duties that may be required of persons assigned to this position. Also, the position description may be modified at any time without notice, at the discretion of management. All On Point for College employees are expected to understand and comply with applicable policies and procedures.
Position Title: Part-Time Shuttle Driver
Location: Syracuse, NY, but must be willing to travel across NYS as a part of the position
FSLA Status: Non-exempt
Effective Date: ASAP
The Shuttle Driver is responsible for the safe and efficient transport of students, staff and parents in the On Point for College van, personal vehicle, or a rental. In this visible role, it is important that the Driver maintains a positive attitude and professional appearance at all times. The driver welcomes each student with a smile, facilitates on campus tours, placement tests and general transportation of students. Operates passenger vans safely and efficiently. Reports accidents, safety situations, vehicle condition, or damage to the Program Director. Inspects exterior and interior of vehicle at beginning of each shift prior to driving the shuttle/van. Ensures that both inside and outside of the vehicle are properly cleaned and fueled. Accurately completes student sign in sheets if no advisor is present. Transport supplies, materials, etc. for various On Point events (e.g., Celebration). Performs other related duties as assigned.
Must be 25 years older or older (for insurance purposes), possess a valid driver’s license with specific class and endorsement based on the type of shuttle/van according to state requirements, reliable transportation, may travel and be available to work evenings and weekends for work events. Able to safely operation a vehicle for up to 12 hours in a day. Able to load and unload materials, supplies, etc. from the vehicle. Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
On Point for College is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment that is free of all forms of discrimination. This organization does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, staff, and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components in keeping with our mission. On Point is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Volunteer with On Point for College