Position Title: College Advisor
Location: We are currently hiring one position for our Utica office
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Effective Date: ASAP
Report to: Lead Advisor
An Advisor’s focus is on assisting opportunity youth and others to enroll and graduate from college, certificate, trade or vocational programs.
- Provide one-to-one assistance in resolving financial, academic and personal obstacles to enrolling in college, certificate, trade or vocational school
- Refer students to appropriate post-secondary opportunities, resources, and personnel
- Effectively engage, and monitor students through virtual or in-person visits, phone calls, and texting/social media platforms
- Recruit individuals to participate in and join On Point for College
- Conduct presentations to students, families, community agencies (including but not limited to staff and clients)
- Build and maintain relationships with students, community organizations, high schools and college/program personnel to support On Point students
- Perform retention services in person or virtually by presenting success strategies and guiding and directing students to campus and programmatic services
- Connect students with On Point’s Career Services to align career interests with academic and program decisions and successfully pursue career opportunities
- Present at pre-college orientation program
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills
- High level of cultural competence, knowledge of the needs of students traditionally underrepresented in higher education, including first generation students, students of color,
- Low income students, rural students, non-traditional age students
- Abide by FERPA regulations and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to multitask, work independently and as a team
- Bachelors Degree and 2+ years of work experience with young adults
- Experience in higher education preferred (financial aid, college admissions, etc).
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed/requested
Proficiency with virtual platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.), MS Office programs including PowerPoint. Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
This position description is not an exhaustive listing of responsibilities or duties that may be required of persons assigned to this position. Also, the position description may be modified at any time without notice, at the discretion of management. All On Point for College employees are expected to understand and comply with applicable policies and procedures.
- $42,000 per year / 40-hour work week / 9:00am – 5:00pm / Monday thru Friday
Most positions receive a laptop or desktop, mobile phone, scanner, and portable printer to use so staff can work from other locations (school districts, community centers, etc.).
Holidays include Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Friday after. We also offer paid leave from 12/24 thru 1/1 for full-time employees.
On Point also:
- Covers 95% of the Health Insurance cost (individual or family plans)
- Pays the premiums for a $10,000 Life Insurance Policy while employed
- Offers an employer contribution to a 403B retirement plan (like 401K for non-profits) after the 1st year of service
- Pays the membership fees for COSTCO or BJ’s
- Covers AAA membership while employed
- Reimburses mileage for work-related travel
- Offers supplemental AFLAC healthcare plans and Dental plans (these are optional employee-paid programs)
On Point for College is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment that is free of all forms of discrimination. This organization does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, staff, and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components in keeping with our mission. On Point is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.