Volunteers have always been a critical component in the success of On Point for College’s programs and students. Since our inception in 1999, over 250 individuals of all ages and backgrounds have volunteered their time and talents for On Point, many of whom remain active with us today.
Do you think you might be interested in volunteering with On Point for College? Our goal is to work with you to ensure that your skills and interests are maximized and that your experiences will result in another positive voice for On Point for College in our community.
Note: On Point for College does not operate using a peer-to-peer advising model. Undergraduate students may volunteer as tutors and take part in other behind-the-scenes tasks. College students in need of volunteer opportunities for academic credit may apply and will be accepted on a case-by-case basis. At this time, we cannot offer volunteer opportunities to students still attending high school.
Areas of past and current volunteer service have included:
- College Access Support - Help assist students transition into higher education by attending a college tour, access event, or by reviewing a college application essay.
- Career Services Support - Use your skills and experience to assist career services in providing resume, cover-letter, mock-interview assistance and more.
- Mentoring - Become a powerful force in the life of a young college student, assisting them in developing a dynamic repertoire of personal and professional skills.
- Phone Outreach - Ensure student wellness/ success with check-in calls or event announcements throughout the semester.
- Virtual Tutoring - Provide students with virtual tutoring support from the comfort of your home.
- Volunteer Driver - Transport students to/ from school during peak times of year as your schedule allows.
- Campus Angel - Campus Angels are college employees recognized by OPFC as individuals able to advocate for OPFC students at the campuses that our students attend.
- Community Angel – Community angels are community members who demonstrate the kindness, dedication, and the desire to work with and advocate for OPFC students in professional and community based settings.
- Community Connector – We are seeking individuals who are positioned with the knowledge, experience, and ability to act as a community liaison while we seek to grow out program across the counties in which we serve.
- Fundraising & Donations - Get involved as a donation party host to obtain basic college supplies and dorm room essentials for our new college students living on-campus, help our development team solicit sponsorships or silent auction donations for an annual event, or provide in-kind services and consultations related to your area of expertise.
- Event planning/ execution support - Play a pivotal role in the planning and/ or execution of annual events such as the Celebration Gala Dinner, Golf for Grads, or the Laptop Giveaway.
- Special projects - Help in on-demand projects around the office such as prepacking backpacks for new college students, mass mailings, research projects, marketing and more.
Please note that the vast majority of On Point for College students live and attend school within New York State.
To become a volunteer:
- Submit a volunteer interest form
- Speak with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete the application process including: Online application, Background check, Anti-harassment training, and Volunteer Orientation
- Begin working with students (attend training if required)
- If you have any other questions, please contact us here