On Point for College’s team comes from a diverse range of backgrounds and includes program alumni, life-long non-profit workers, and former private sector workers. But at the end of the day, we all have one thing in common: we are all committed to helping our students on their journeys to a brighter future.
Part of the media? Contact a member of On Point for College's Development team for help.
Work for On Point for College
Are you passionate about providing opportunity for young people who did not think that a brighter future was possible? If so, you may find a career at On Point for College rewarding! On Point for College is an equal opportunity employer and offers excellent benefits.
Position Title: Advisor - we are hiring for this position in both our Syracuse and Utica offices
Do you enjoy meeting with individuals as well as small groups on an ongoing basis to build connections?
Can you identify barriers to college success, and help review academic goals and develop action plans for related successes?
Are you able to teach and model decision-making and problem-solving skills to help students to become their own self-advocates?
Please view the link below to learn more about On Point for College
If you would like to help us in transforming lives and transforming communities, consider joining our team!
- Assist with applications, personal statements, recommendations needed for higher education and vocational agencies.
- Conduct monthly visits on campuses throughout New York State. Effectively engage current students via in-person, telephone, email, text, social media or video conference settings.
- Provide communications to students – distribution of news and information including but not limited to e-mail, text, social media and by using technology as a communication tool in advising.
- Provide one-to-one assistance in resolving financial, academic and personal obstacles to starting college or vocational school.
- Assess student’s personal strengths through academic success strategies, career exploration.
- Support academic progress Assist students with short-term and long-term academic planning, major and transfer exploration.
- Identify students who are at risk of not persisting. Work with each student to develop a success plan that will prompt them to seek necessary campus and community resources and to take a proactive approach to succeeding in school.
- Determine root causes of student challenges, facilitate referrals to support services, and follow up to facilitate success, as appropriate.
- Working with undecided students and supporting students to explore and understand their interests, skills, and values in conjunction with degree, accreditation, and admission requirements for their chosen major.
- Advocate for students' rights and well-being and ensure they learn self-advocacy, Maintain accurate data/notes/information in database.
- Connect students with On Point’s Career Services to align career interests with academic decisions and successfully pursue career opportunities.
- Explain and interpret transfer credit policies and evaluations; assist students with the inter-college transfer process; focus on identifying and developing resources related to career exploration and transfer to four-year year schools.
- Initiate and maintain projects and programs that result in increased student retention and graduation.
- Keeps current with learning strategies with emerging and state-of-the-art student success research.
- Data collection and analysis related to student success initiatives.
- Participate in New Student Orientation program and assist students with making a smooth transition to campus.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills.
- High level of cultural competence, knowledge of the needs of student traditionally underrepresented in higher education, including first generation students, students of color, low-income students, non-traditional age students.
- Utilize technology, including social media, student management systems, texting platforms and Microsoft Office.
- Abide by FERPA regulations and maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s Degree and three years of work experience in financial aid, college admissions, and/or the EOP.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, ability to work evening and weekend hours, as needed/requested.
- $18.26 hour / 40-hour work week / 9:00am – 5:00pm / Monday thru Friday
Volunteer with On Point for College